St Kieran's Catholic School - Mount Isa
Position: School Chaplain
Classification: Term Time, Contract until the end of the year
Hours: 11 hours per week - 2 days per week
Pay Rate: School Officer Level 5 - $33.62 - $35.25 per hour
Start Date: As soon as practicable
Townsville Catholic Education provides a supportive, flexible working environment where care for the individual is an important part of our ethos. We employ motivated people who want to work together to produce excellent outcomes for our students. Our staff are recognised as being central to achieving our mission.
About the role
St Kieran's Catholic School is seeking applications from suitability qualified and passionate individuals for the position of School Chaplain to commence as soon as practicable.
The role of the Chaplain is to work in collaborative partnership with the school community to provide pastoral and spiritual support to students.
The Chaplain works to create opportunities for faith development of students and advance the religious life of the school community. The Chaplain will foster the experience of Catholic community within the School and engage the community in social justice and social action. The Chaplain encourages and facilitates connections with Church/faith communities and agencies.
- Provide pastoral and spiritual support to students
- Spend informal time with students (e.g. playground, classroom and excursions)
- Mentor and provide practical support to students during their transition to adulthood
- Coordinate and facilitate reflection and prayer experiences (e.g. reflection days, retreats, forums, meetings and other similar experiences)
- Contribute to the organisation of major school liturgies and celebrations
- Contribute to the development and promotion of Catholic ethos within the School Community
- Support events that promote the collegiate spirit of the school
- Under the direction of the Principal, initiate contact with families of the School community (e.g. families experiencing sickness, families new to the school experiencing hardship)
- Make information available to students around issues of social justice support and resource service groups within the School community
- Encourage student involvement in parish faith communities
- Facilitate ecumenical and inter-faith relationships and activities
- Participate in TCE facilitated programs for professional learning
- Contribute to local cluster gatherings of Chaplains
- Generalist administration support
- Any other task as reasonability directed.
- Demonstrated organisational and time management skills to balance competing priorities
- Experience in providing ministry and spiritual support and wellbeing services students
- Experience in the provision of support to children and young people and their families to address social and emotional needs
- Sound understanding of the Mission and Purpose of Catholic Education and to developing an understanding of religious and values education in young people
- Ability to liaise with community service organisations, government agencies and other services
- Ability to support schools and teachers to identify and develop educational, social and emotional programs to support children and young people
- The ability to work and collaborate with students, staff and school community
- Ability to support the ethos and values of Catholic Education
- An ability to communicate with a range of staff across primary and secondary school settings
- Ability to develop and sustain productive working relationships.
- Current Working with Children Suitability Card*
- Certificate IV in Youth Work, Chaplaincy or Pastoral Care or equivalent or higher qualification – this qualification must include competencies in ‘making appropriate referrals’ and mental heath
- Current Driver’s Licence
- Ability to travel from time to time within the Catholic Diocese of Townsville
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the role in a safe manner.
*The successful candidate will require a paid Blue Card before commencement as per the No Card, No Start policy developed by the Queensland Government.
Please see the Position Description for further information.
How to apply
- Complete the application form
- Upload a cover letter/supporting statement (no more than 2 A4 pages) which addresses your suitability in relation to the qualifications, experience, knowledge and skills required of the role.
- Upload a current resume which also includes the name, email address and contact details of two referees.
The closing date for applications for this role is 4pm Friday 7th August 2020.